The Machinists Union is proud to announce the return of in-person learning at the William W. Winpisinger Education and Technology Center(W3 Center) in Hollywood, MD beginning August 1, 2021. For the safety of the membership and staff, the flagship union training facility was forced to suspend classes in March 2020.
“Education of officers, members and staff has always been an imperative focus of the Machinists Union, and nowhere does it better than the William W. Winpisinger Center,” said IAM International President Robert Martinez Jr. “Their health is the priority and we will go above and beyond to ensure a safe learning environment for participants and staff. Our union has excelled for 133 years by adjusting to changing conditions, and this is no different. We are all excited to welcome members back to the Winpisinger Center.”
“We are incredibly excited to be re-opening for in person education,” said Winpisinger Center Director Chris Wagoner. “We are committed to re-opening in a way that ensures the safety and health of member participants and everyone who works at the Winpisinger Center as our highest priority. Our movement requires collective action and meaningful collective action requires solidarity. Solidarity requires the kind of trust that face-to-face interaction creates – so we are looking forward to again providing in-person education. We are committed to continuing a tradition of providing meaningful education that responds to the real and practical needs of members, officers, activists and staff.”
Because the safety of member participants and staff is of the upmost importance, the W3 Center will return with a phased reopening schedule and a strict set of protocols and procedures. The W3 Center will continuously reassess all safety measures in accordance with CDC, state and local guidelines—and where appropriate, make necessary changes.
- All participants are required to provide proof of vaccination prior to purchase of travel to attend class.
- All participants will be required to mask and socially distance while at the W3 Center.
- All W3 Center employees will be fully vaccinated.
- Leadership programs are limited to 50 percent enrollment.
- Guest rooms will not exceed 50 percent capacity. Each will be cleaned and sanitized daily and will not be used for one week after use.
- Classrooms and dining room will be cleaned and sanitized throughout each day, and set up to allow for social distancing.
- Participants will not be allowed to bring guests at this time.
- The W3 Center will carefully and fully follow CDC recommendations and fully comply with State of Maryland laws and the St. Mary’s County Department of Health guidelines.
A full schedule with the complete set of guidelines will be sent to local and district lodges in the upcoming weeks.